Flippin’ Coney Island Day Pancakes
Because winter has been too flippin' long.
"Mom!" Antonio, age 10, shot like a tiddely-wink from his game on the floor into the seat next to his mom on the sofa.
Antonio and his three sisters were at our Brooklyn apartment waiting as his middle sister, Miranda Poodles (as their uncle Michael has dubbed her), was being fitted for her first communion dress.
"Mom, tomorrow is Palm Sunday!"
With brown eyes the size of saucers, he was so excited he could hardy stand himself.
"Can we go to church so we can get Palm leaves?!"
Today is Palm Sunday, and Antonio isn't the only one who is having perhaps less conventional excitement for the day.
Yes, Easter is around the corner and the celebration of that pivotal moment in history when Jesus was raised from the dead. It's the first day of Holy Week! Important and exciting is an understatement!
However, today also happens to be the opening Sunday of Coney Island.
I have been counting down for this day since about 64 days ago. Call it unconventional, but I was so giddy last night that sleeping was kind of out of the question.
An early morning run to the market was in order, as were celebratory pancakes.
The pancakes needed to be made of flavors that didn't quite mix, and colors that didn't quite make sense. Coney Island is a wildly delicious treat for the senses composed of pure nonsense and far-fetchery.
This recipe is extremely ridiculous and the ingredients aren't something that anyone ever has sitting around in their pantry. But it's Coney Island Day. There are no rules. There are no restrictions!
With pancakes devoured, plates licked clean, and 60's pop bopping in the background, I'm off to find a Palm Sunday outfit that can double as proper Coney Island wear.
Polka dots are a must!
flippin’ coney island day pancakes for two
Blackberry Lavender and Avacado Chocolate Chip pancakes with whipped chèvre and pistachios 💕
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 2 egg
- 2/3 c buttermilk
- 1/2 avacado
- a dozen chocolate chips
- 1/2 c blackberries
- 2 drops lavender oil
- 2 T sweet spicy chevre
- 2 T ricotta
- 1/2 t vanilla
- 2 T whipping cream
for the pancakes
- mix dry ingredients, slowly incorporating wet ingredients
- separate batter into 2 halves
- to the first half, whisk in avocado until smooth consistency forms
- to the second half, whisk the blackberries and lavender until smooth consistency forms
- heat a frying pan over med-low with butter.
- drop batter 2 T at a time and let sit until bubbles surface on the pancakes
- *poke 3 or 4 chocolate chips into the avocado pancakes at this point
- when bubbles have set, flip the pancakes to lightly brown the other side
- keep warm in oven until all pancakes are done
for the whipped chèvre
- whip the first 3 ingredients together
- whip the cream separately and fold into cheese mixture
- layer pancakes in alternating colors with 1/2 T whipped chèvre in between
- top with chopped pistachios